Wednesday, August 5, 2009

When I think about my beautiful Grandma, there are so many wonderful memories that come to mind.

From when we were little kids running around the yard at ridge rd, playing with glass birds on her coffee table, swinging on the clothes line or learning to play cards around the table. Being fitted for something special she was making for us to wear to a school formal or helping us get braces for our teeth.

Then there were Christmas days with all the family, Grandma’s jam filled sponge cake for your birthday, the Tupperware container that was always stocked with a fresh batch of rock cakes or mince tarts just waiting for grandchildren to devour.

Not to mention the good old “Grandma test” it was so important to all of us that Grandma liked our partners that we gave it a name. First time she would meet them, they had to pass the test. She was always there, excited to be part of our lives!

These are just a few of the many beautiful memories of Grandma, who was always there for her grandchildren.

I don’t remember an event, a birthday or a school performance that grandma was not there for. Whether it was a big event or not, it always felt special just knowing that Grandma was there, she always took an active interest in all areas of our lives.

It’s funny, when I think about Grandma, she was no ordinary Grandma. She was not the meek little old Grandma sitting in the corner of the room, just watching life go by. Instead she was an amazing woman of strength and tenacity, who had a love for life, and a true love for all those around her.

Grandma was always inspiring her Grandchildren to be active and to always live life to its fullest.

Even as an adult, she is the one I want to tell all my exciting news too.

When I found out I was pregnant, I could not wait to tell Grandma the exciting news, she was the first one I wanted to tell.

Grandma was an amazing Great Grandma or as the boys called her “Gwanny” Although they live far away and did not get to see her often, there was always a huge hug and lots of love whenever they did meet. While Thomas is still too young, I am grateful that Harry has sweet memories of his Gwanny and will always talk about Gwanny who made cookies with him.

When I travelled to Europe 10yrs ago, I received a letter from my family. The last line stated “Have a great time and make the most of every opportunity -Grandma” This has become my life’s mantra. I am inspired by this daily and will forever know that my Grandma has helped me be the person I am today.

Thank you Grandma, for loving life and your Grandchildren as much as you do. You will always be with me, in my heart and in my life.

No comments: